Got Questions? We’ve Go Answers!
Don’t know your banya from your saunas? Have questions about Izba Spas? Our most common questions are answered below but ever hesitate to call if you have additional questions about our services and appointments.
How should I prepare my body for a treatment at Izba Spa?
- Be well hydrated. If drinking enough water is regularly difficult for you, be intentional about hydrating for 24 hours before your appointment, and everyone should drink at least 8 oz of water before starting your treatment. We will provide filtered water throughout the treatment as well.
- Do not let your stomach be too empty or too full. It is ideal to have a meal 3 hours before your treatment, and if you are hungry right before your appointment, just have a piece of fruit or energy bar to curb your hunger. If your appointment is first thing in the morning, be sure to drink water, avoid excess caffeine, and have a small and simple breakfast.
- Do not consume alcohol within 24 hours of your appointment. Being intoxicated or hungover can lower your tolerance for the heat and make you dehydrated. Intoxication is also a contraindication for massage. We also do not allow alcohol on the premises so your treatment will end immediately if it is found in the treatment rooms. Safety first!
Dehydration, intoxication, and a full stomach can all result in lowering blood pressure and blood sugar, headache, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, and loss of consciousness. Our therapists do our best to check in with you to see how you are feeling, but preparing your body beforehand will help us provide you with the safest and enjoyable experience possible.
How to best support your body after your treatment at Izba Spa:
- Drink plenty of water for the 24 hours following. It replenishes the water lost through sweating and continues the flushing of toxins
- Eat a nourishing healthy meal that isn’t too heavy.
- It is not ideal to consume alcohol following a treatment, but we understand that many of our clients enjoy dining out including a drink or two. Please be sure to drink moderately and be drinking plenty of water in addition to your drink of choice to avoid a headache, nausea, and dehydration
There are a few options for parking. There is a parking lot on the south side of the building that accepts credit cards and costs $1 per hour. There is also free street parking on York street and metered parking on Colfax Ave.
Once you’ve entered the building head straight down the stairs. Turn left halfway down the stairs. There are signs pointing you to Izba Spa as you walk through the Manton Massage Clinic. You will find the sitting area for Izba Spa at the end of the winding hallway. Come down the steps of the spa and reception will be on the left. Once you find us, it will be worth it, we promise!
Each room is your own private oasis and includes a space for massage, a banya (Russian steam bath), a hot tub, and a shower.
Ultraviolet (UV) light and hydrogen peroxide are used in all hot tubs to provide you with sparkling clean water. Chlorine is not used in the hot tubs. They are also completely drained, cleaned, and refilled 2-3 times per week and hydrogen peroxide levels are checked daily.
This is completely up to you! Your room is private and you are free to be without a swimsuit in the hot tub as long as you and the person you are with are comfortable. When a therapist is present during the massage and the banya, you will be draped appropriately with towels the entire time.
All you absolutely need to bring is your wonderful self ready to relax and experience all things Izba! We provide filtered water, towels, shampoo, conditioner, and body wash in the treatment rooms. We also provide you with herbal tea and fruit in the lobby after your treatment. If you care to bring a bathing suit, flip flops, or your own shower products, feel free to do so!
Yes please! You must have your GC with you in order to use it as payment for your treatment. If you do not have it with you, we will have to take payment for your treatment and then refund you once you bring your GC back to us. You will also need your GC handy at the time of booking the appointment as we will need information from it.
We have a strict 24 hour cancellation policy. We understand that things come up, but we may need to charge you the full cost of your treatment due to the high demand of or facility and needing to compensate our therapists for being present for your treatment. We require having a credit card number on file in order to book an appointment, and will need to charge for the full cost of the treatment for clients that do not show without notice.
Our banya treatments are “home style” not “communal.” It is a 2 person steam bath where you will lay down and relax for 10-15 minutes while your massage therapist does all the work! As you heat up, your therapist will pour a mixture of water and therapeutic essential oils over the hot rocks creating a steam that allows the oils to permeate the room. Once you break a sweat, the bundles of oak leaves, or venik, will be shaken and heated over the rocks and be used to move the hot steam to your body. They will then be brushed and tapped along the body to deliver more heat, furthering detoxification and relaxation. Next, honey is applied for its skin healing and moisturizing properties. Last but not least, a cool bucket of water is poured over the body as a boost to the immune system, to better circulation, and for a quick cool down.
We love to accommodate anyone who is willing to give the banya a try! Whether you don’t tolerate heat well, or don’t do well in confined spaces, we can accommodate you. Even though the banya experience is all about testing your limits and leaving renewed, we also want you to feel safe and satisfied. We can open the window, provide you with a cold wet cloth, and give you plenty of water to drink. It is our goal to give you the safest and most satisfying experience possible.